RE: Top cloud in triangle/rectangle diagram

At 05:53 PM 10/4/2002 -0400, Sedukhin, Igor wrote:
>When a Service advertises itself to the Requestor, does it not play a role
>of an Advertiser? Roles can collapse into one compound role, but from the
>logical point of view they are still atomically separate in the architecture.
>
>So, it seems that Slide 4 [at
>http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-arch/2002Oct/0062.html ] says
>that roles of Service and Advertiser are collapsed, and if the right
>circle said Service/Advertiser it would be very valid interpretation of
>the triangle. I don't think there is a contradiction with the triangle and
>three roles in it.

Yes, I see what you mean.  You could describe it that way, but that's still
assuming that the role of "Advertiser" is required as a significant
architectural component.  It could be for a particular EXTENDED
architecture, but I don't think it's needed or desirable for our BASIC
architecture.  I think the scenario described in
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-arch/2002Oct/0072.html helps
make this clearer.  (That scenario was actually inspired by the business
need that Roger Cutler described at our last F2F, incidentally.)

--
David Booth
W3C Fellow / Hewlett-Packard