RE: Spec draft

Eric,

First off, thank you very much!  This is great stuff!  My comments are:

1. I'd like to have more of the SOAP and WSDL architectural elements, like
MEPs, Bindings, Modules and features.  One approach we could take is to look
at having a section in the extended web services architecture on
MEPs/Bindings/features.  This would duplicate some of the SOAP 1.2 work, the
idea is to get that work into the arch doc.  Then we can talk about how
features map to SOAP and WSDL through MEPs and Bindings.

1a. Another approach is to move the notion of features higher up in the
architecture, say before the extended arch diagram.  We could say something
like "The extended web services architecture provides for concrete use of
features.  Features are .....  They can be realized by MEPs and Bindings,
and described in WSDL.  The following diagram shows an extended architecture
with a variety of places that features can be bound to.

2. We could probably use the protocol stack of the 3-stack diagram as a
starting point for an expansion of the wire stack

3. I don't know if we've modelled infrastructure services very well. Take
something like WS-Coordination.  It has defined services exchanged for
startup and takedown of coordination.  And then contexts are transferred
during regular service invocation.   So it defines a few features (startup
and takedown) with their MEPs and it also defines a feature and a particular
binding (soap headers for contexts).  I think we need to have a way of
expressing this notion.

4. The "transport" box is probably poorly named.  HTTP is a transfer
protocol, not a transport, and we'd like to have HTTP included.  Perhaps we
could change it from "transport" to "protocol"?

5.  I'd like to start a list of features, as well as sample incarnations.
I'm sure there will be lots, so I'll just start with a smattering of them:

- correleted response - 1 solution is a binding that is HTTP, and another is
an MEP is 2 requests with a correlation ID SOAP Module
- long running transaction - one MEP is a series of reqests between two
nodes with a conversation ID SOAP Module
- reliable message - one MEP is a series of requests between two nodes with
an acknowledgement SOAP Module
- message authentication - one binding is HTTP auth, another is a SOAP
Module with username/password, x.509 etc. (ws-security)
- message confidentiality - one binding is HTTPS, another is a SOAP Module
with encryption.
- message integrity - one solution is a SOAP Module with encryption

Cheers,
Dave