Re: Words for the Triangles

+1

Mark Jones
AT&T

	From www-ws-arch-request@w3.org Tue Oct  1 12:46 EDT 2002
	To: www-ws-arch@w3.org
	From: "Christopher B Ferris" <chrisfer@us.ibm.com>
	Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 12:45:51 -0400
	Subject: Re: Words for the Triangles

	--=_alternative 005BA80685256C45_=

	David,

	While I appreciate the sentiment of your comments, I feel compelled to
	disagree that we can just label the top role "The Web" and be done with
	it.

	To put a cosmology spin on the issue, there's an awful lot of "dark
	matter"
	that comprises the Web that is effectively "invisible". By this I refer to
	the beellions (well, maybe not, but Carl Sagan would be proud:-) of orphan

	Web resources that are not linked from any other resource
	and which are not the default Web page for a given origin server
	such that they might be discovered by a Web 'bot on a 5 year mission to
	seek out
	new Web resources; to boldly go where no 'bot has gone before. Even
	Google does not know of their identity, yet they exist none the less and
	may
	be quite unaware that they are the equivalent of cosmological "dark
	matter".

	There is more to making a Web resource discoverable via the Web than
	simply making the resource available via the Web. Whether the
	"registry" is merely a site map, the default Web page for an
	origin server containing links to other resources which contain
	links..., or a UDDI or ebXML registry, there needs to be some
	action taken that makes a given resource discoverable via the Web.

	The action can be implicit or explicit, but it MUST be recognized in the
	architecture. I believe this action to be the act of registering with, or
	publishing to ,
	a "registry", even if that "registry" is merely a collection of links off
	the
	default page of an origin server.

	Further more, a Web service may have good reason to engage with a
	particular class or instance of a discovery agency:
	        - make my presence known only within my enterprise
	        - make my presence known external to my enterprise
	        - limit awareness of my presence to the secret society of foobar

	I am also happy with "discovery agencies" if "registry" is too overloaded
	a term.

	Cheers,

	Christopher Ferris
	email: chrisfer@us.ibm.com
	phone: +1 508 234 3624

	David Booth wrote on 09/30/2002 07:26:44 PM:

	> Heather Kreger <kreger@us.ibm.com> on Thu, 26 Sep 2002 17:54:16 -0400
	writes:
	> >No, you do not discover from the web. Google discovers from the Web.
	Then
	> >he records it in his registry. THEN you discover from Google,  which is
	> >searching his - gasp - registry. So, you are discovering from a
	registry.
	> >. . .
	>
	> Well, yes, that is a legitimate one way to look at it, but I certainly
	do
	> not think of it that way.
	>
	> To me, Google and other tools are simply my MEANS of discovery -- not
	the
	> desired end point of my discovery.  Google, Yahoo, email, and postcards
	and
	> billboards with URIs on them are all means that I use to find what's on
	the
	> Web.  Google just helps me to find it by suggesting a URL, but I get the

	> information that I seek from the Web -- I don't get it from Google.  All
	> get from Google are suggestions for where I should look.
	>
	> To me, the top cloud in the triangle diagram is simply the Web -- that
	> universal space where you can put information and get information.  And
	> UDDI registry is certainly a part of that space.  A Web Service
	publicizes
	> its information (somehow), and a Client finds that information
	> (somehow).  But they don't have to use a common "registry" to do so
	(unless
	> you wish to call the entire Web a "registry", but I think that would be
	> rather disingenuous).  The only thing they have to have in common is the

	> Web: One places the information on the Web and the other finds it.
	>
	>
	> --
	> David Booth
	> W3C Fellow / Hewlett-Packard
	> Telephone: +1.617.253.1273

	--=_alternative 005BA80685256C45_=

	your comments, I feel compelled to </font>
	top role &quot;The Web&quot; and be done with it.</font>
	there's an awful lot of &quot;dark matter&quot;</font>
	&quot;invisible&quot;. By this I refer to</font>
	Carl Sagan would be proud:-) of orphan </font>
	any other resource</font>
	for a given origin server</font>
	a Web 'bot on a 5 year mission to seek out</font>
	no 'bot has gone before. Even</font>
	yet they exist none the less and may</font>
	of cosmological &quot;dark matter&quot;.</font>
	discoverable via the Web than</font>
	via the Web. Whether the</font>
	map, the default Web page for an</font>
	resources which contain</font>
	there needs to be some</font>
	discoverable via the Web.</font>
	but it MUST be recognized in the</font>
	to be the act of registering with, or publishing to ,</font>
	&quot;registry&quot; is merely a collection of links off the</font>
	good reason to engage with a</font>
	agency:</font>
	make my presence known only within my enterprise</font>
	make my presence known external to my enterprise</font>
	limit awareness of my presence to the secret society of foobar</font>
	agencies&quot; if &quot;registry&quot; is too overloaded </font>
	Architect, Emerging e-business Industry Architecture<br>
	email: chrisfer@us.ibm.com<br>
	phone: +1 508 234 3624</font>
	&gt; <br>
	&gt; <br>
	&gt; Heather Kreger &lt;kreger@us.ibm.com&gt; on Thu, 26 Sep 2002 17:54:16
	-0400 writes:<br>
	&gt; &gt;No, you do not discover from the web. Google discovers from the
	Web. Then<br>
	&gt; &gt;he records it in his registry. THEN you discover from Google,
	&nbsp;which is<br>
	&gt; &gt;searching his - gasp - registry. So, you are discovering from
	a registry. <br>
	&gt; &gt;. . .<br>
	&gt; <br>
	&gt; Well, yes, that is a legitimate one way to look at it, but I certainly
	do <br>
	&gt; not think of it that way.<br>
	&gt; <br>
	&gt; To me, Google and other tools are simply my MEANS of discovery --
	not the <br>
	&gt; desired end point of my discovery. &nbsp;Google, Yahoo, email, and
	postcards and <br>
	&gt; billboards with URIs on them are all means that I use to find what's
	on the <br>
	&gt; Web. &nbsp;Google just helps me to find it by suggesting a URL, but
	I get the <br>
	&gt; information that I seek from the Web -- I don't get it from Google.
	&nbsp;All I <br>
	&gt; get from Google are suggestions for where I should look.<br>
	&gt; <br>
	&gt; To me, the top cloud in the triangle diagram is simply the Web --
	that <br>
	&gt; universal space where you can put information and get information.
	&nbsp;And a <br>
	&gt; UDDI registry is certainly a part of that space. &nbsp;A Web Service
	publicizes <br>
	&gt; its information (somehow), and a Client finds that information <br>
	&gt; (somehow). &nbsp;But they don't have to use a common &quot;registry&quot;
	to do so (unless <br>
	&gt; you wish to call the entire Web a &quot;registry&quot;, but I think
	that would be <br>
	&gt; rather disingenuous). &nbsp;The only thing they have to have in common
	is the <br>
	&gt; Web: One places the information on the Web and the other finds it.<br>
	&gt; <br>
	&gt; <br>
	&gt; -- <br>
	&gt; David Booth<br>