Re: Words for the Triangles

David,

While I appreciate the sentiment of your comments, I feel compelled to
disagree that we can just label the top role "The Web" and be done with
it.

To put a cosmology spin on the issue, there's an awful lot of "dark
matter"
that comprises the Web that is effectively "invisible". By this I refer to
the beellions (well, maybe not, but Carl Sagan would be proud:-) of orphan

Web resources that are not linked from any other resource
and which are not the default Web page for a given origin server
such that they might be discovered by a Web 'bot on a 5 year mission to
seek out
new Web resources; to boldly go where no 'bot has gone before. Even
Google does not know of their identity, yet they exist none the less and
may
be quite unaware that they are the equivalent of cosmological "dark
matter".

There is more to making a Web resource discoverable via the Web than
simply making the resource available via the Web. Whether the
"registry" is merely a site map, the default Web page for an
origin server containing links to other resources which contain
links..., or a UDDI or ebXML registry, there needs to be some
action taken that makes a given resource discoverable via the Web.

The action can be implicit or explicit, but it MUST be recognized in the
architecture. I believe this action to be the act of registering with, or
publishing to ,
a "registry", even if that "registry" is merely a collection of links off
the
default page of an origin server.

Further more, a Web service may have good reason to engage with a
particular class or instance of a discovery agency:
        - make my presence known only within my enterprise
        - make my presence known external to my enterprise
        - limit awareness of my presence to the secret society of foobar

I am also happy with "discovery agencies" if "registry" is too overloaded
a term.

Cheers,

Christopher Ferris
email: chrisfer@us.ibm.com
phone: +1 508 234 3624

David Booth wrote on 09/30/2002 07:26:44 PM:

> Heather Kreger <kreger@us.ibm.com> on Thu, 26 Sep 2002 17:54:16 -0400
writes:
> >No, you do not discover from the web. Google discovers from the Web.
Then