Re: UDDI's UUIDs issue

Anne Thomas Manes wrote:

> A tModel's key should be unique across all UDDI registries. The main
> reason that UDDI used UUIDs as tModel keys was to ensure that each
> tModel does have a unique key.

All URIs are globally unique. UUIDs are not special in that way. When
you go to Google and ask it for information about http://www.manes.net,
there is no confusion about what resource it should give information to.
I can take that same globally unique key to OpenText, AltaVista and
NetNanny and get other useful information (useful to someone, anyhow).

>  So I do think that at some point (perhaps as early as V4) we
> will devise a federated model, and you should to be able to perform a
> GET on a uddi: scheme, without specifying the registry node, and
> manage to retrieve the tModel.

How do I know *which* federation to submit to? The One True federation?
Who runs that, ICANN? Microsoft? The W3C? The IETF?

UDDI needs decentralization!

  Paul Prescod