Re: Web services and CORBA

Eric Newcomer wrote:

> I think you were referring to the Tentative Hold Protocol Note?
> http://www.w3.org/TR/tenthold-2/

Yes.

> The trouble in this type of protocol is guaranteeing recovery from
failure,
> i.e. one party can end up thinking the order was processed but not the
> other.
> Anyway, there's no solution to this problem over the Web yet, at least
not
> that I've seen.

Two tentative suggestions:
1. RosettaNet and ebXML (following RNet) provide a Notification
of Failure over a different channel where the transaction end state
might be ambiguous.
2. If (as in REST) the Order is a Web resource, one could always
check its state.

But I suspect this is a case for solutiong that are "good enough
for what you are trying to do".  In other words, buying books
requires less certainty than big funds transfers.

-Bob Haugen