RE: Web services and the Semantic Web

For the most part I agree that ACID isn't suitable for the Internet, but
there are times when acidity is required, which is one reason why SOAP
supports other protocols (e.g., JMS)that might be more suitable for ACID
behavior.

I agree with you that we're trying to reinvent CORBA on the Web. But this
time we want to do it in a loosely coupled fashion that can tolerate immense
scalability, latency, and even intermittent connectivity. (Something that
you simply can't do with CORBA.) Looking back at the CORBA process, creating
IIOP was the easy part, even though it took years to achieve consensus and
to then make it interoperable. The hard part was designing the higher-order
CORBAservices that address transactions, security, etc. These high order
services never reached the point of pervasiveness and interoperability.
(Security has been particularly disappointing.)

Fortunately we're not trying to reinvent IIOP. We want to build this new
distributed computing infrastructure based on an immensely scalable network
that automatically manages really hard things like partial failures, network
transparency, etc. But we still need to build those gnarly high-order
services -- and we want to do it in such a way that they're interoperable
from the beginning.

I really think that the Web and XML can allows us to be successful this
time.

Anne