RE: Web services and the Semantic Web

Mark,

Xmethods is a developer's site. It lists samples, examples, demos. It's not
a complete list of Web services used around the world. Web Services are not
necessarily exposed to the entire universe. Many companies use Web services
to conduct proprietary business. These services are not advertised in a
public forum. In most circumstances, they aren't intended for consumer
consumption. They are designed to allow a specific application or set of
applications to access another application. In some cases this communication
occurs within the bounds of a single company. In other cases it crosses
corporate boundaries. For example, one of our customers uses Web services
technology to allow Excel spreadsheets to access financial data (Intranet).
Another of our customers uses Web Services to allow content providers to
access mobile customer information and to bill them for their use of the
content (Extranet). In another case an energy company uses Web Services for
energy trading (Extranet). In none of these case are these Web services
published on the open Internet. Very few of our customers publish their Web
services on the open Internet.

We have hundreds of customers with deployed applications. And we're only one
of more than 80 SOAP implementations. Granted -- our implementation is
production-quality, and it supports a number of enterprise-class features
such as security and reliability, and we've been GA shipping since
September. Perhaps our success is unusual? But I don't think so. I think
you'll hear similar stories from IBM, Iona, The Mind Electric, Microsoft,
etc.

I'd say that we're talking about very fast adoption and very successful
technology.

Anne

<snip/>