RE: Back to Requirements (was RE: Web Service Definition [Was

Mark,

	I think I might have been the one to add "interfaces" in the
definition, in one of my amendments
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-arch/2002Mar/0071.html as "A
web service is a software application identified by a URI, whose
interfaces and binding are capable of being defined, described &
discovered by XML artifacts and supports direct interactions with other
software applications using XML based messages via internet-based
protocols".

	Frankly, at that time I hadn't thought thru the significance of
the single interface per URI; my motive was to mean *all* the interfaces
offered by a web service. But if we say web service will have interface
defined by a unique URL, the singular form (interface) might be OK.

Cheers

On
 | Behalf Of Mark Baker
 | Sent: Tuesday, March 05, 2002 10:04 PM
 | To: "Cutler, Roger (RogerCutler)"
 | Cc: chris.ferris@sun.com; www-ws-arch@w3.org
 | Subject: Re: Back to Requirements (was RE: Web Service Definition
[Was

 | > Why is it critical that a web service have only one interface?  I
don't
 | know
 | > of any mechanism by which there could be more than one, but what
would
 | be
 | > the problem with that if someone figured out how to do it?
 |
 | Because the "Web way" to do this is to have a different URI for each
 | interface.  That is, if we had some chunk of software that had both
an
 | operational interface and an administrative interface, we'd give a
URI