RE: Web Services Architecture

Hi Alan,

     I posted in my original email to the group on goals and requirements a
definition of architecture. I'll repost it again here:

"The software architecture of a program or computing system is the structure

or structures of the system, which comprise software components, the

externally visible properties of those components, and the relationships

among them." [1]

I also posted a definition of a reference architecture:

"A reference architecture is the generalized architecture of several end

systems that share one or more common domains. The reference architecture

defines the infrastructure common to the end systems and the interfaces of

components that will be included in the end systems. The reference

architecture is then instantiated to create a software architecture of a

specific system. The definition of the reference architecture facilitates

deriving and extending new software architectures for classes of systems. A

reference architecture, therefore, plays a dual role with regard to specific

target software architectures. First, it generalizes and extracts common

functions and configurations. Second, it provides a base for instantiating

target systems that use that common base more reliably and cost

effectively." [2]

In addition I posted a note about an existing proposal for a reference
architecture for Web Services [3].

Comments?

Regards,

D-

[1] Bass, L., Clements, P., and Kazman, R. Software Architecture in

Practice. Reading, Mass.: Addison Wesley, 1998.

[2] Gallagher, Brian P. "using the Architecture Tradeoff Analysis Method to

Evaluate a Reference Architecture: A Case Study" CMU/SEI-2000-TN-007 June
2000

http://www.sei.cmu.edu/publications/documents/00.reports/00tn007/00tn007.htm
<http://www.sei.cmu.edu/publications/documents/00.reports/00tn007/00tn007.ht
m>

[3] Yin, Kevin "A Refrence Architecture for Smart Web Services" Sun

Developer Connection, August 2001

http://dcb.sun.com/practices/devnotebook/webserv_refarch.jsp
<http://dcb.sun.com/practices/devnotebook/webserv_refarch.jsp>