From: www-ws-arch-request@w3.org [mailto:www-ws-arch-request@w3.org] On
Behalf Of David Orchard
Sent: Monday, March 04, 2002 3:23 PM
To: www-ws-arch@w3.org
Subject: Web Services Definition and XML

I wanted to discuss a specific aspect of Web Services definition on a
separate thread, particularly the use of XML.

If one takes a look at the charter of the Web Services Architecture
group [1], the word XML is the 4th word in the text.  The first 7
sentences mention XML 7 times.  I'm counting as one the XML, XML
Namespaces, and XML Schema fragment.

Further, the 2nd goal is "The set of technologies identified must be
based on XML. ". The 6th bulleted goal is "The framework proposed must
support the kind of extensibility actually seen on the Web: disparity of
document formats and protocols used to communicate, mixing of XML
vocabularies using XML namespaces, development of solutions in a
distributed environment without a central authority, etc. "...

The charter seems extremely clear that web services must be based upon
XML.

Now I'm a person that leans towards sometimes re-interpreting charters,
but I draw the line in the sand on this one.  I believe that the Web
Services definition MUST make explicit reference to XML.  Perhaps the
actual bits on the wire don't have to be XML - like using SSL or GZIP -
but the basis for the inputs and outputs of the service sure have to be
XML or a well understood transformation.  I also include a packaging of
XML into something like MIME or DIME as being XML based.

Like I argued for URIs, I will also argue for XML in our definition.
This is a show-stopper.

Cheers,
Dave
[1] http://www.w3.org/2002/01/ws-arch-charter