RE: D-AR003.1; wording re transport/transfer

Mark,

So you don't want to challenge it but would like to challenge it ;-) ?

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Baker [mailto:distobj@acm.org]
Sent: Friday, July 19, 2002 11:00 AM
To: www-ws-arch@w3.org
Subject: D-AR003.1; wording re transport/transfer

I understand from Mike that D-AR003.1 was accepted as-is.  I don't want
to challenge that at this point, but I would like to ask that the wording
be clarified to mean exactly what we discussed.

What it currently says is;

"separates the transport of data or means of access to Web Services
from the Web Services themselves"

I understand from the discussions on this issue, that most WG members
believe this applies to *transfer* protocols in addition to transport
protocols.  If this is the case, I request that it be reflected in the
wording, perhaps by saying;

"separates the transport and transfer of data, or means of access to
Web Services, from the Web Services themselves"

or,

"separates the protocol(s), or means of access to Web Services, from the
Web Services themselves"

My concern is that this wording will mean one thing to us, and something
entirely different to those who might review our work, who rightly
distinguish between transport and application/transfer protocols (like
most members of the TAG, the IETF, and other people who work with
protocols).

Thanks.