From: Paul Prescod [mailto:paul@prescod.net]
Sent: Wednesday, July 17, 2002 10:17 PM
To: Burdett, David
Cc: David Orchard; www-ws-arch@w3.org
Subject: Re: REST, Conversations and Reliability

"Burdett, David" wrote:

> This work group seems to be degenerating into a REST vs SOAP debate ...
> which is very, very sad ;(
>
> Judging by the conviction of people such as Paul below I am sure that REST
> can do all the things that SOAP can do.

REST is an architectural style. SOAP is a syntax. The current SOAP
specification has quite reasonable support for the REST architectural
style.

> They might even do them better - I don't really care.

Despite the fact that SOAP can be used by REST, I personally find it
disappointing to learn that there are member reps who are not motivated
by technical quality.
--
Come discuss XML and REST web services at:
  Open Source Conference: July 22-26, 2002, conferences.oreillynet.com