Re: A REST challenge

Robert Shmit wrote:
> There are many ways to model the business semantics at
> the business level. It has nothing to do with
> correlation-id. Of course business commitments are
> being, made but mixing up the layering is causing
> confusion in conversation. ebXML was just one way to
> do things, not necessarily the best way or even the
> simplest method of orchestrating business
> conversations. There are many ways to do this.

My point was not about ebXML, it was about REST.
It was that orchestration of business conversations
is a business-level decision, involving business semantics.

The business semantics can be expressed as REST
resources, thus bringing the conversations and
their subjects into the same info space.

For example, orders are bound by a business protocol
called Offer-Acceptance.  If the order is not accepted,
there is no point in the rest of the business conversation
about order fulfillment.  If you can't reason about the
state of the order, you can't orchestrate the conversation
very well.

As for the ongoing SOAP vs REST debate, I'm in the
combination camp. But still figuring out what the
best combination looks like, thus mostly lurking
on this discussion.

-Bob Haugen