Re: Peer to peer goal

Ugo:
  P2P as a goal reflects an important class of interoperability
situations that cannot be captured with a client server model.

  I have no doubt that some of the CSFs for P2P also belong under goals.
However, the CSFs that I introduced seem to be specific to the P2P goal,
other things that I discussed are more general and I assumed would be
covered.

  Let me restate the goal and CSFs:

D-AG007 Peer to Peer interoperability

The Web services architecture must support interoperability between
peers as well as client-server architecture.

D-AC023

Web services and clients must support modes of interaction where both
have a permanent presence.

D-AC024

Web services such be able to support N party interactions, such as
auctions, escrow services, proxy services, broker services.

--------

These do not mention security, or extended conversations.

BTW there appears to be a `hard line' amongst some  web services folk:
that there is no need for the concept of an extended conversation of any
kind. My response to them, is that they are throwing away an important
opportunity to satisfy the needs of our customers (our in the collective
sense, not merely Fujitsu's).

The real motivation for the P2P goal is to directly address that
point -- at the level of abstraction appropriate for an architectural
specification. Other supporting concepts, in particular the management
of relationships between participants, is pretty critical IMO but not
appropriate at this level of abstraction.

I agree completely that security should be handled independently of a
P2P goal, although security CSFs would impinge on the safety of P2P
interactions.

I happen to believe that though there might be overlap between
client-server extended conversations and peer extended conversations,
doing the latter will solve the former but not vice-versa.

Frank McCabe