RE: [RTF] AC019 proposal to WSA WG

+1

Hao

-----Original Message-----
From: Joseph Hui [mailto:Joseph.Hui@exodus.net]
Sent: Wednesday, July 10, 2002 12:43 PM
To: Mark Baker; Damodaran, Suresh
Cc: www-ws-arch@w3.org
Subject: RE: [RTF] AC019 proposal to WSA WG

Mark,

IMHO "reliable messagin (RM)," which is a widely used term,
would do just fine in the context given by Suresh.

RM is a term for a solution class, which is generic.
It's not a solution instance, which is specific.
Well, let's say for the moment it's as specific as the
term "cold medicine," which is a class, of which the
instances are: Tylenol, Contac, Jack Daniels, ... ;-)

Thus I see nothing wrong in our calling out a solution class.
For instance, system architects and protocol designers often
call out for "reliable transport" -- a class, as opposed to
"TCP," an instance.  What's so special about us that we have
to knock ourselves out just to tiptoe around the RM term?

> > Besides, "reliable computing" includes defining semantics of what is
> > "reliable" computing.
> > Refer to "behavior equivalence definition" thread discussions.
>
> How about "reliable coordination of tasks" then?

That would be like renaming "cold medicine" to
"temporary relief for symptomatic stress," wouldn't it?
There better be darned good reason to switch from a
term to a phrase.  Somehow I've failed to see one here.

Cheers,

Joe Hui
Exodus, a Cable & Wireless service