Re: Late binding

At 08:05 PM 6/28/02, Sam wrote:

>Right.
>
>But I still dont undertstand how this answers your earlier point.
>How does the contract negotiation happen ???
>Dont you need BPML or something funky for that... ?
>
>Your earlier point
>
> >>http://joes-shoes.example.org/111111
> >>
> >>How would you go about ordering shoes in this case, keeping in mind that
> >>there's been no prior communication between yourself and this service
> >>provider?

What I would do (assuming I was in the mode of sending people money for
things I stumble across -- unlikely as has been pointed out) is search in a
directory /trader/UDDI, etc. and GET the WSDL and other meta information i
would need to know in order to be comfortable doing business.)

I suppose one could argue that this is a priori information, but no more so
than doing an HTTP GET on a random url and hoping I already have the
smarts/code to know what to do with the "stuff" I get back.

Seems to me the "problem" and hence the "solution" may be a bit easier
using the web services approach, since more is currently "standardized"
about directory structures and meta-information for web services. The key
is standardizing how the meta information (contracts, protocols,
operations, etc.) is represented and how to go about getting it in a
uniform way.

As has been pointed out, it is quite unlikely that significant bits of
business will be done over the web (or in real life) simply because one
discovers an "interesting" pointer (be it a uri, a wsdl document, a
newspaper advertisement, a yellow pages (the real phone book kind), etc.

jeff

--
Jeff Mischkinsky                    jeff.mischkinsky@oracle.com
Consulting Member Technical Staff   +1(650)506-1975 (voice)