Re: Does RM make a qualitative difference?

On Tue, Dec 17, 2002 at 04:36:00PM -0500, Champion, Mike wrote:
> 0.5% of the traffic on the Internet is an enormous number. I wouldn't scorn
> it, even if your guesstimates are correct.

I wasn't scorning it.  I even said it was a good trade-off in some
cases.  But the question wasn't "is that a lot of messages", it was
"is it enough messages to make a qualitative difference?"

> I'd suggest that you kick off a discussion of how to deal with this issue
> effectively at the application level rather than trying to discourage those
> who hope to deal with it at the infrastructure level.  There is room in the
> WSA document for both.  As usual, I'll argue that the best way forward is to
> discuss when one or the other is more appropriate, or if they can complement
> each other, and not place them in theoretical opposition to each other.

Ok, then I'll suggest that defining a coordination language for Web
services is the best way to go.  Which, coincidentally, is what
AR023.7.1[1] is all about;

 [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/wsa-reqs#AR023.7.1

And I suggest that GET, PUT, POST, and DELETE comprise a sufficient
coordination language for this purpose.

Yes, this is yet another attempt at espousing the *enormous* value of
the uniform interface constraint, whose rejection by this WG, and the
industry at large, continues to boggle my mind.