RE: Is (sender-side) persistent storage needed for Reliable Messaging ??

Question embedded..

Ricky

At 05:10 PM 12/14/2002 -0800, Assaf Arkin wrote:
>The application asks the RM to send the message an RM replies positively
>if it can send the message. The application then goes and does something else.
>
>The RM will send the message at a later point in time and will retry as
>many times as necessary. The application never contacts the RM to
>determine what the delivery status is.

<Ricky>
Does it mean the value of "persistent storage" is so that RM can promise
the App-A earlier after it persist the message, and release App-A to do
something else ?

In other words, does it mean if App-A is willing to wait until the message
is actually delivered (RM-A get an ACK from RM-B), then there is no need
for persistent storage.
</Ricky>

> From the perspective of the application, if the RM says that is will
> deliver the message then the message will be delivered. The application
> does not consider the possibility that the message will not be delivered.

<Ricky>
But it is possible RM-A fail to deliver the message after retry and decide
to give up.  Does the application still not care ??
</Ricky>