RE: Is (sender-side) persistent storage needed for Reliable Messaging ??

  -----Original Message-----
  From: www-ws-arch-request@w3.org [mailto:www-ws-arch-request@w3.org]On
Behalf Of Ricky Ho
  Sent: Saturday, December 14, 2002 7:48 AM
  To: Ugo Corda; www-ws-arch@w3.org
  Subject: Is (sender-side) persistent storage needed for Reliable Messaging
??

  Can someone elaborate why this is a need of persistent storage at the
sender side (as said in ebXML spec) ?  I don't see such need because if the
client system crash before getting the ACK, the message delivery status is
"in-doubt" and the client side application has to find it out by himself
anyway.

  Node A wants Node B to do something. Node A creates a message and sends it
to Node B. Node A crashes. Node B sends an ack and starts processing the
message. The ack is not received by Node A since its down. Later Node A
comes back to life. Node A does not have any recollection of sending a
message to Node B, it missed the ack coming from B, so it has no clue that
Node B is processing the message or that it should even ask Node B "how's it
going with that message over there?"

   arkin

  Rgds, Ricky