Re: Closing issue X

Hi Mike,

On Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 08:21:13PM -0500, Champion, Mike wrote:
> The WSA WG considered your suggestion at some length today.  We decided that
> it would NOT be a responsible act on our part to close this issue in a
> perfunctory manner. We will deliberate on how to address your original
> suggestion as the WS architecture document evolves and as we consider each
> of the issues that have been raised against it. So, we are NOT taking the
> procedural cop-out that I suggested earlier, we are saying that this isssue
> is too important to close without  carefully crafted reasoning that
> references the WSA document. We believe that our time is now best spent on
> refining that document so that we have a strong foundation on which to argue
> our case if this issue ever gets to the TAG.

Thanks for taking time out to discuss this.

> Speaking only for myself, I suspect that the TAG would have plenty of fodder
> to chew on considering only the human-readable web as it actually exists,
> assuming they choose to consider the role that the uniform interface
> constraint might play in the Web architecture document.  If, hypothetically,
> they choose to believe that this is an important principle of the Web
> architecture, we can at some future point consider how it might apply to the
> Web services architecture.

That's quite reasonable, but also regrettable.  This problem has existed
within the W3C for over a year now, since the Web Services Activity was
chartered, and no opportunity has yet presented itself to correct the
current (misdirected) path that Web services are on.  Delaying the
resolution of this issue primarily hurts those who are currently
implementing specifications that have no chance of seeing broad adoption
(broad agreement != broad adoption), such as WSDL, WSCI, BPEL4WS, WS-T,
WS-C, etc...

You did give me an idea for how to approach the TAG though.  Thanks.
Stay tuned.