Re: WSD Requirements: add a requirement about safe and idempotent characteristics

Hey [H]ugo, 8-)

On Tue, Dec 03, 2002 at 05:31:59PM +0100, Hugo Haas wrote:
> * Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org> [2002-11-26 14:13-0500]
> > I think that WSD issue #64[1] covers your concern.  If it were resolved
> > such that HTTP methods, including GET, were given their rightful status
> > as WSDL operations, then that's all a developer has to know, and they
> > can write software that uses GET as it's defined in RFC 2616; any "safe"
> > or "idempotent" flag would be superfluous.
>
> I don't think that it covers what I had in mind because it is tied to
> the HTTP binding. OTOH, HTTP method equivalence is definitely closer
> to HTTP than any other protocol, but I was trying to do something
> general.

Right, a general principle is important.  I'd say it's that SOAP
bindings to application protocols should obey the semantics of those
protocols.  This would require that the methods of these protocols be
exposed as WSDL operations.

Mark Baker.  Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA.   http://www.markbaker.ca

   Will distribute objects for food