Re: Gaspart's Comments

Draft Response follows.

I would not be unhappy to drop the PS which includes informative but
non-consensus points. I think the reply is more helpful with them; I chose
two points that are intended to balance out.

I am happy to send this, but suggest that Mike is probably the most
appropriate responder.

Jeremy

===================

Dear Prof. Gaspart,

thanks for your comments concerning the use of xml:base in the OWL Guide.

The Working Group has discussed these comments by e-mail [1].

The examples you highlight are not errors, and we do not intend to change them.

The use of xml:base in OWL is specified by RDF/XML Syntax (Revised) [2], we
draw your attention to section 5.3.
http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/PR-rdf-syntax-grammar-20031215/#section-baseURIs
specifically the words "any fragment part is ignored."

These words are further clarified in the test xmlbase/test013 in the RDF
Test Cases [3].

The URL for the RDF/XML file in that test case is:

http://www.w3.org/2000/10/rdf-tests/rdfcore/xmlbase/test013.rdf

This shows an xml:base of "http://example.org/dir/file#frag",  two same
document references rdf:about="" and rdf:ID="foo" and a relative URI
rdf:resource="relpath". All three are resolved as if the xml:base were
"http://example.org/dir/file". (This can be seen by examination of the
corresponding ntriple file test013.nt).

Please reply, with a cc to public-webont-comments@w3.org, indicating
whether you are satisfied with this response.

If you wish to follow up with comments on section 5.3 of RDF/XML Syntax or
the RDF Test Cases, then such comments should be directed to
www-rdf-comments@w3.org

**whoever**

on behalf of Web Ontology WG

[1]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2004Jan/thread.html#4

[2]Beckett, RDF/XML Syntax Specification (Revised)
http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/PR-rdf-syntax-grammar-20031215/

[3]Grant and Beckett, RDF Test Cases
http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/PR-rdf-testcases-20031215/

PS

Two comments of interest from the WG discussion are:
[[
it is a bit weird that xml:base may be a  URI reference rather than simply
a URI
]]
and
[[
Using a style of ontology definition designed to be less
error-prone, entity declarations and namespaces interact.  And the cleanest
set of declarations is

Entity decl   : <!ENTITY vin "http://www.example.org/wine#" >
Namespace decl: xmlns:vin = "&vin;"
Base decl     : xml:base = "&vin;"