Re: Jena implementation report plans

On September 9, Jeremy Carroll writes:

> Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:
>

> > If a completely comprehensive test suite is being developed then it might
> > be a good idea to have tests that demonstrate the presence or absence of
> > the various comprehension inferences.  I think there are many other tests
> > that should be generated before these, however.
> >

> That may be true, but that is not where we are at.
>
> We do not have a complete test suite, and the coverage of the comprehension
> axioms is entirely accidental.
>
> Because of Dave's imlementation style, these axioms are more pertinent for
> him, and hence he probably has a better understanding of them than many
> people who have implemented them. I don't see any reason to turn down his
> offer of *more* tests which help make more apparant the current use of the
> comprehension axioms.

I agree with this, but a useful/appropriate test is one that
highlights some inference/aspect of the semantics that will be
incorrectly handled if certain comprehension axioms are missing. This
seems to be the case already for some of the tests - "axiom based"
implementations may fail these tests when they lack certain relevant
axioms. I fail to see how adding a simpler version of the test that
can be passed without said axiom(s) would help anyone. More tests that
highlight other possible failings due to incomplete axiomatisations
should, of course, be warmly welcomed.

Ian