I18N actions [was: Re: WOWG: 4Sep proposed agenda]

Dan Connolly wrote:

[..]

> --- 5. RDF Internationalization
>
> ACTION: Jeremy to send his discussion of some of the issues re
> xml:lang and literals to WG.
>
>                              From:
> Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
>                                To:
> www-webont-wg@w3.org
>                           Subject:
> On RDF/I18N issue
>                              Date:
> Mon, 01 Sep 2003 16:34:22 +0100
> http://www.w3.org/mid/3F5366FE.20109@hplb.hpl.hp.com
>

> ACTION: Guus S. will review.

I have read Jeremy's note plus links in detail. Overall, RDFCore seems
to have made a well-motivated  rational design choice in a space of
conflicting requirements. The arguments against the  alternatives
proposed by I18N are compelling. The current post-LC design works for
OWL and is, from a WebOnt perspective, an improvement over the LC design.

> ACTION: Guus Schreiber will send some examples of use of xml:lang to
> webont mailing list.

Well, the type of examples mentioned in the RDFCore/I18N discussion did
not come up in our work, where we use language tags in a very simple
way. For example, to represent the IconClass category 2 (one of the top
categories; IconClass works with a compositional letter/digit id
system), which stands for "Nature", can be represented as the following
instance of a class ic:Category:

   <ic:Category rdf:ID="2">
     <rdfs:label xml:lang="en">nature</rdfs:label>
     <rdfs:label xml:lang="de">Natur</rdfs:label>
     <rdfs:label xml:lang="fr">nature</rdfs:label>
     <rdfs:label xml:lang="it">natura</rdfs:label>
     <rdfs:label xml:lang="no">naturen</rdfs:label>
     <rdfs:label xml:lang="fi">luonto</rdfs:label>
   </ic:Category>

Guus

Tel: +31 20 444 7739/7718
E-mail: schreiber@cs.vu.nl