Re: comments on OWL test cases

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hpl.hp.com>
Subject: Re: comments on OWL test cases
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 17:04:26 +0300

> ian:
> > Under these circumstances I'm not sure that the paragraph
>   my text
> > is necessary - the semantics of datatype theories was carefully
> > designed so that this kind of thing would NOT be necessary.
>
> Hmm.
> If that's the case then I suspect we will end up aborting the LC vote.
> That understanding of datatyping gets into too many places for it to be
> simply an editorial action to fix it.
>
> Can I ask a concrete question:
> http://www.w3.org/2002/03owlt/editors-draft/draft/proposedByIssue#I5.8-003
>
> _:a rdf:type owl:Restriction .
> first:p rdf:type owl:DatatypeProperty .
> first:p rdfs:range xsd:byte .
> first:p rdfs:range xsd:unsignedInt .
> _:a owl:onProperty first:p .
> _:a owl:cardinality "129"^^xsd:nonNegativeInteger  .
> first:john rdf:type _:a .
>

> this is inconsistent, but to know it you need to know about xsd:byte and
> xsd:unsignedInt and their relationship.

The above ontology is

	DatatypeProperty(first:p range(xsd:byte) range(xsd:unsignedInt))
	Individual(first:john type(restriction(first:p minCardinality(129))))

which is inconsistent because there are only 128 unsigned bytes.

> What should a complete OWL Consistency Checker that only knows about integer
> and string return?

> My text says: Unknown

A complete Consistency Checker should never return unknown.

> Without it I think we have to say: Consistent, despite the test case being
> inconsistent.

The above ontology is consistent with respect to a datatype theory that
does not include xsd:byte.

It would be possible for allow for some sort of error return in this case,
however.

> Jeremy

peter