Re: datatypes decision not carried out in specs?!?

Dan Connolly wrote:
> [...]
>    determine which datatypes any OWL reasoner supports.
>
> 2/ I propose that all OWL reasoners be required to support the following
>    TWO datatypes:
>
> 	xsd:integer
> 	xsd:string
> ]]]
>
> and I'm trying to find the parts of our spec where that decision
> is reflected so I can get it reviewed.
>
> Well, our specs don't reflect it very clearly.
>

> Guide doesn't reflect it at all:
>

> [[[
>
> The following datatypes are recommended for use with OWL:
>
> xsd:string
> xsd:normalizedString
> xsd:boolean
> xsd:decimal
> xsd:float
> xsd:double
> xsd:integer
> xsd:nonNegativeInteger
> xsd:positiveInteger
> xsd:nonPositiveInteger
> xsd:negativeInteger
> xsd:long
> xsd:int
> xsd:short
> xsd:byte
> xsd:unsignedLong
> xsd:unsignedInt
> xsd:unsignedShort
> xsd:unsignedByte
> xsd:hexBinary
> xsd:base64Binary
> xsd:dateTime
> xsd:time
> xsd:date
> xsd:gYearMonth
> xsd:gYear
> xsd:gMonthDay
> xsd:gDay
> xsd:gMonth
> xsd:anyURI
> xsd:token
> xsd:language
> xsd:NMTOKEN
> xsd:Name
> xsd:NCName
> ]]]
>  -- http://www.w3.org/TR/owl-guide/#Datatypes1
>
> nor reference:
>

> [[[
>
> The following are the recommended simple built-in XML Schema datatypes
> for use in OWL ontologies:
>
>       * The primitive datatype xsd:string, plus the following datatypes
>         derived from xsd:strong: xsd:normalizedString, xsd:token,
>         xsd:language, xsd:NMTOKEN, xsd:Name,and xsd:NCName.
>       * The primitive datatype xsd:boolean.
>       * The primitive numerical datatypes xsd:decimal, xsd:float, and
>         xsd:double, plus all derived types of xsd:decimal (xsd:integer,
>         xsd:positiveInteger. xsd:nonPositiveInteger,
>         xsd:negativeInteger, xsd:nonNegativeInteger, xsd:long, xsd:int,
>         xsd:short, xsd:byte, xsd:unsignedLong, xsd:unsignedInt,
>         xsd:unsignedShort, xsd:unsignedByte)
>       * The primitive time-related datatypes: xsd:dateTime, xsd:time,
>         xsd:date, xsd:gYearMonth, xsd:gYear, xsd:gMonthDay, xsd:gDay,
>         and xsd:gMonth.
>       * The primitive datatypes xsd:hexBinary, xsd:base64Binary, and

It is in Reference, see Sec. 6.3 Datatype Support

[[
Tools may vary in terms of support for datatype reasoning. As a minimum,
tools should support datatype reasoning for the XML Schema datatypes
xsd:string and xsd:integer. For unsupported datatypes, lexically
identical literals should be considered equal, whereas lexically
different literals would not be known to be either equal or unequal.
Unrecognized datatypes should be treated in the same way as unsupported
datatypes.
]]

I made two changes:

1. Changed "As a minimum, tools should .." to
    "As a minimum, tools must".

2. For reader convenience added a forward reference in intro of Sec. 6
    to this section 6.3:

See the changes in the editor's draft:
http://www.daml.org/2002/06/webont/owl-ref-proposed#Datatype

Guus