Re: Property with no range ... ObjectProperty or DatatypeProperty?

For the second case, OWL DL/Lite, is it true that you can't make it? Or that
it would be defined as rdf:Property, but that the latter's subclasses (owl:
DataatypeProperty and owl: ObjectProperty) are disjoint, hence could cause
real problems?

If you had such a definition, i.e., defined to be rdf:Property, in an
ontology, would that automatically push you into OWL FULL?

Leo

Dan Connolly wrote:

> On Sun, 2003-03-02 at 07:02, Roger L. Costello wrote:
> > Hi Folks,
> >
> > Suppose that I want to define a property without an rdfs:range.  Thus,
> > the property can have any value - a string (datatype) value or an object
> > value.  Right?
>
> In OWL Full, yes...
>
> >   Then how do I define the property - as an
> > owl:ObjectProperty or as an owl:DatatypeProperty?
>
> neither. owl:ObjectProperty excludes string values,
> and owl:DatatypeProperty excludes non-datatype values.
>
> So you can't make an OWL DL/Lite ontology with
> such a beast.
>
> In OWL Full, it's just an ordinary rdf:Property.
>
> >   /Roger

Dr. Leo Obrst  The MITRE Corporation
mailto:lobrst@mitre.org Intelligent Information Management/Exploitation
Voice: 703-883-6770 7515 Colshire Drive, M/S H305
Fax: 703-883-1379       McLean, VA 22102-7508, USA