Re: Proposed response to: e: Restriction, DeprecatedClass in OWL Language Reference 31 March 2003

Guus - the only change I would make is to change the penulatimate
paragraph to something in like:

The WG does not see the rationale for introducing owl:Entity at this
time. I would suggest the discussion of this issue at the
rdf-logic@w3.org discussion list.

then SEND IT!
  -JH

At 2:24 PM +0200 6/24/03, Guus Schreiber wrote:
>Richard H. McCullough wrote:
>http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webont-comments/2003May/0090.html
>
>>  From: "Richard H. McCullough" <rhm@cdepot.net>
>>  Subject: Re: Restriction, DeprecatedClass  in OWL Language
>>Reference 31 March 2003
>>
>>  So your class hierarchy is
>>      rdfs:Class
>>          owl:Class
>>          owl:Restriction
>>          owl:DeprecatedClass
>
>Sorry if the previous message was not clear enough. The class
>hierarchy is (see Appendix B of Reference)
>
>rdfs:Class
>     owl:Class
>         owl:Restriction
>     owl:DeprecatedClass
>
>So, owl:Restriction is a specific kind of owl:Class.
>
>>  That raises several questions in my mind.
>>  1. Shouldn't you strive for
>>      owl:Class  owl:sameAs  rdfs:Class
>
>This is true in a weaker sense in OWL Full (owl:Class
>owl:equivalentClass rdfs:Class), but not in OWL DL. See the note in
>Sec. 3.1 in the editor's draft of OWL Reference [1]:
>
>[[
>NOTE: owl:Class is defined as a subclass of rdfs:Class. The
>rationale for having a separate OWL class construct lies in the
>restrictions on OWL DL (and thus also on OWL Lite), which imply that
>not all RDFS classes are legal OWL DL classes. In OWL Full these
>restrictions do not exist and therefore owl:Class and rdfs:Class are
>equivalent in OWL Full.
>]]
>
>>  2. Shouldn't owl:Restriction be a metaclass of rdf:Property?
>>      owl:Restriction  rdfs:subClassOf  rdf:Property
>
>owl:Restriction is not a property, it is a class description of
>which the class extension is defined in terms of property
>constraints. See Sec. 3.1.2:
>
>[[
>The class owl:Restriction is defined as a subclass of owl:Class. A
>restriction class should have exactly one triple linking the
>restriction to a particular property, using the  owl:onProperty
>property. The restriction class should also have exactly one triple
>that represents the value constraint c.q. cardinality constraint on
>the property under consideration, e.g., that the cardinality of the
>property is exactly 1.
>]]
>
>>  3. Likewise, shouldn't these be subClasses of rdf:Property
>>       owl:DataRange
>
>This is not a property, but a class that can act as a datatype. See Sec. 6.2:
>
>[[
>In the case of an enumerated datatype, the domain value of owl:oneOf
>is a blank node of class owl:DataRange ....
>]]
>
>>       rdfs:Datatyp
>>       rdfs:Literal
>
>This is outside the scope of the OWL specifications. I would think
>this is not the case, however.
>
>>       owl:DeprecatedProperty
>
>Correct, see Appendix B:
>
>[[
> [...]

Univ of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742	  *** 240-277-3388 (Cell)
http://www.cs.umd.edu/users/hendler      *** NOTE CHANGED CELL NUMBER ***