Re: Proposed response to Golbeck regarding imports issue

Jim,

Quoting from Test:

    An OWL Lite or OWL DL document D is consistent with respect to a
    datatype theory T if and only if there is some abstract OWL
    interpretation I with respect to T such that I satisfies an
    abstract ontology O equivalent to D, in which O has a separated
    vocabulary; (see [OWL Semantics and Abstract Syntax]).

    An OWL Full document D is consistent with respect to a datatype
    theory T, if and only if there is some OWL Full interpretation I
    with respect to T such that I satisfies all the RDF graphs in some
    imports closed collection containing an RDF graph equivalent to D.

    An OWL consistency checker MUST be sound: it MUST return
    Consistent only when the input document is consistent and
    Inconsistent only when the input document is not consistent, with
    respect to the datatype theory of the checker.

A document containing only the assertion that x is of type
http://...foo#bar is clearly consistent according to the above
specification, regardless of the contents of http://...foo. If you
have a consistency checker that imports the contents of http://...foo
and returns "Inconsistent" if this leads to an inconsistency, then
your consistency checker is unsound according to the spec.

If you would like to have a tool that does some automatic importing,
then the obvious solution is to have it automatically extend the
ontology with the required import statements. Using this kind of tool
along with the existing imports statement lets everyone do more or
less what they want to do - you and Dan can do different kinds of
automatic importing, and others can do only explicit importing.

Ian