Re: Proposed response to Golbeck regarding imports issue

Hi Dan,

The text you want stricken is from the currently published Last Call
Working Draft, not from my proposed response. My proposal was to change
it to:

 > "Note that although owl:imports and namespace declarations may appear
 > redundant, they actually serve very different purposes. Namespace
 > declarations simply set up a shorthand for referring to identifiers.
 > They do not implicitly include the meaning of documents located at
the
 > URI (although some applications may choose to process these documents
in
 > addition to the original document). On the other hand, owl:imports
does
 > not provide any shorthand notation for referring to the identifiers
from
 > the imported document. Therefore, it is common to have a
corresponding
 > namespace declaration for any ontology that is imported."

Note that this makes it clear that other applications, such as the ones
you have built, are free to process the namespace documents. I hope this
text is more acceptable to you.

I will delay making any responses on the two imports messages until
we've had a chance to come to consensus.

Jeff