Re: WOWG: Report from WWW 2003 - OWL presentation/issues

Jeremy,

100% agreement - the "normal" discussion about triples is, as I think you
imply by using "normal", the one most people use and assume.   And this
appears second order to most people since it allows you to predicate a
predicate.   However, as you point out, there is a mapping to a
first-order system.    This is why I claimed it has a higher order syntax,
but not a higher-order semantics.

I agree, btw, with Peter that the mapping to first order is NOT trivial,
though I may be less skeptical that he is that it is correct.

-Chris

Dr. Christopher A. Welty, Knowledge Structures Group
IBM Watson Research Center, 19 Skyline Dr., Hawthorne, NY  10532     USA

Voice: +1 914.784.7055,  IBM T/L: 863.7055, Fax: +1 914.784.6912
Email: welty@us.ibm.com, Web: http://www.research.ibm.com/people/w/welty/

Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
06/06/2003 01:20 PM