Re: S&AS: not enough type statements OWL Full-entailed from empty RDF graph

From: herman.ter.horst@philips.com
Subject: S&AS: not enough type statements OWL Full-entailed from empty RDF graph
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 15:56:27 +0200

> In my last review of S&AS, just before the decision to go
> to last call (see [1] and the discussion that followed)
> I noted that in the definition of OWL interpretations
> IC needs to be given more elements, to become completely
> consistent with the editor's version of the RDF Semantics
> document.
> It was agreed to take this up later when the next version
> of the RDF Semantics document becomes more official.
>
> However, only after the decision to go to last call
> I realized that exactly the same changes can also be
> motivated by means of test cases, in a way that does not
> depend on the semantic theory.
>
> Namely, a certain analogy between RDF entailment,
> RDFS entailment, and OWL Full entailment is not complete.
> Recall that each RDF graph (including the empty RDF graph)
> RDF-entails the RDF statement
>   rdf:type rdf:type rdf:Property .,   and
> RDFS-entails RDF statements like
>   rdfs:domain rdf:type rdf:Property .
>   rdfs:Class rdf:type rdfs:Class .
>   etc.
> To summarize, each RDF(S) vocabulary element that is clearly a
> property or class, is defined as a property or class in this way
> with an entailed explicit RDF statement.
>
> However, this holds to a large extent, but does not hold completely,
> for OWL Full.
> From the empty graph, there is OWL Full-entailment of RDF statements
> like
>   owl:sameIndividualAs rdf:type rdf:Property .
>   owl:Thing rdf:type rdfs:Class .
> and very many other statements like this, but it seems that the
> following 12 statements are not OWL Full-entailed, given the
> definition in the last call version of S&AS:

>   owl:Class rdf:type rdf:Class .
>   owl:Restriction rdf:type rdf:Class .
>   owl:DatatypeProperty rdf:type rdf:Class .
>   owl:AnnotationProperty rdf:type rdf:Class .
>   owl:OntologyProperty rdf:type rdf:Class .

I think that the above are entailed, because in all OWL interpretations
they have instances, and thus are classes.

>   owl:ObjectProperty rdf:type rdf:Class .

The above are not be entailed in OWL DL, but are in OWL Full.

>   owl:Ontology rdf:type rdf:Class .
>   owl:AllDifferent rdf:type rdf:Class .
>   owl:FunctionalProperty rdf:type rdf:Class .
>   owl:InverseFunctionalProperty rdf:type rdf:Class .
>   owl:SymmetricProperty rdf:type rdf:Class .
>   owl:TransitiveProperty rdf:type rdf:Class .

The above are not entailed.

> It is interesting to note that the requirement that
> ICEXT has IC as domain necessarily leads to exactly the correction
> of these omissions.

I don't believe that this would change the situation.

I propose augmenting the common semantic conditions to fix these issues.

peter