RE: Proposed simplification of datatype expressions

>  > From: pat hayes [mailto:phayes@ai.uwf.edu]
>>
>>  >"people who have at least three values for property x."
>>  >
>>  >where x is a data valued property. I, too, struggle to think
>>  of an example
>>  >where one would actually want to use such a construct (but am open to
>>  >suggestion)....
>>
>>  People who own three or more homes, people with at least three
>>  sources of income, people with at least three children, people with
>>  with at least three nationalities, people who have travelled to more
>>  than three foreign nations during the last six months,....
>
>All good examples of cardinality contraints to objects; I have to say
>that I'm not convinced that any of the following are naturally
>datatypes:
>
>- homes
>- sources of income
>- children
>- nationalities
>- travel to a given nation during a date range
>
>Nationality, in my view, comes closest; but why is this better as a
>datatype than an object?

I have no idea; but if someone has, I see no reason to forbid them
from saying what they want to say. I guess you have stronger
intuitions than I do about what characterizes a datatype. I see no
reason why any of these might not be datatypes for some purposes.
But for a more plausible example, how about people with three
distinct social security numbers, or events which recur on at least
three dates, or people who have entered the country at least three
times (identified by the date and time of entry) during a certain
year?

Pat
IHMC					(850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola              			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32501           				(850)291 0667    cell
s.pam@ai.uwf.edu   for spam