RE: Web Ontology Language (OWL)?

No one has complained.  I personally don't like Ontology Web Language.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Hendler [mailto:hendler@cs.umd.edu]
Sent: Friday, November 15, 2002 12:52 PM
To: Dan Connolly; Leo Obrst
Cc: W3C Web Ontology WG
Subject: Re: Web Ontology Language (OWL)?

At 12:42 PM -0600 11/15/02, Dan Connolly wrote:
>On Fri, 2002-11-15 at 12:20, Leo Obrst wrote:
>>
>>  Many of our documents have the title: "Web Ontology Language (OWL) ...".
>>  Did we make a decision to NOT expand the acronym correctly?
>
>I thought we decided that was the correct expansion,
>or that we delegated to the editors or some such,
>but upon review of the records, I'm compelled to
>agree: the published WDs conflict with our
>decision record:
>

>"RESOLVED: We will call the language OWL (Ontology
>Web Language)"
>  -- Minutes 3rd January 2002
>  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2002Jan/0033.html
>
>("How did he find that?" you might ask; well, I remembered
>we talked about the name at the 1st ftf; so I
>went to the history section of the WG homepage
>   http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/WebOnt/#L109
>and reviewed the records of the Jan 2002 ftf.
>Didn't find it there, but checked the telcons
>following it, and bingo, there it is.)
>
>I kinda like the way the WDs are, so I'm interested in
>re-opening that decision. Hm... is the fact that
>the WDs are now published and I (among others) like
>it sufficient new information to revisit the
>decision, Mr. Chair?

DECISION OPENED FOR REVISITING

>  Or shall we instruct the editors
>to fix the WDs w.r.t. our decision record?

I believe I was the chair who originally suggested the resolution
above, and I've since come to be convinced that the way things are is
just fine.  I hereby reopen the issue above, and would particularly
like to hear from the Editors of all current WDs as to whether
  i. they have gotten complaints such as the one Leo is reporting
  ii. anyone has said they like it how it is
  iii. they have any strong preferences about keeping v. changing it
While all members of the WG are welcome to respond, when it comes to
document issues I think the editors have earned the right to special
consideration by the time they've dedicated to producing the
documents.

  -JH