Re: LANG: compliance levels

On May 2, Deborah McGuinness writes:

> Ian Horrocks wrote:
>
> > On May 2, Frank van Harmelen writes:
> > > Jonathan Borden wrote:

> > > Ian,
> > >
> > > Arguing that there are different modelling styles is one thing,
> > > arguing that everybody who has a different modelling style doesn't
> > > understand what they are doing is quite another.
> >
> > I didn't say that, and I was not talking about "modelling style"
> > (whatever that is). I was talking about cases of real misuse, or at
> > least of imprecision. Examples are easy to find in the daml ontology
> > library. E.g., in the world fact book ontology all restrictions are
> > universal. I would guess that this is the result of a relatively
> > arbitrary choice when translating from some modelling "formalism"
> > where there is no alternative (or no distinction between universal and
> > existential quantification). In many cases it seems quite clear that
> > existential quantification would be more appropriate. E.g., a property
> > of countries is their totalArea. This is modelled as a universal
> > constraint (if a country has a totalArea then it must be of type
> > xsd;decimal) when it seems more reasonable/precise to use an
> > existential (all countries have a totalArea and it is of type
> > xsd;decimal).
>
> This is not completely correct.
> What you are really saying as of course you know well with an existential is
> that there is at least one value of totalArea and it is of type decimal.
> You have left open the option for another total area to exist which is not a
> decimal.
> You would have to add that totalArea is functional in order to obtain accurate
> conceptual modeling.

I said it seems MORE reasonable/precise. I was arguing that universal
-v- existential is not always just a matter of style, and that
universal is sometimes used when existential is more appropriate.  I
gave an example from the factbook ontology that I believe supports my
argument.

> One could also argue that stating that at least one of the fillers of totalArea
> is also imprecise conceptual modeling and it is only by the deduction that one
> gets after one states that the role is function, that one gets precise modeling.
>
> Thus, I do not think you have made your point   or  that the analogous point can
> be made in the opposite direction as I claim I have just made.

This makes no sense to me whatsoever. I believe I made my point very
clearly (that universal is sometimes used when existential is more
appropriate). Of course one may be able to do even better by using
additional constructors such as functionality (I already discussed
this in an earlier email), but that isn't really relevant here. So
what is the analogous point you have made in the opposite direction? I
expect one could find examples where existential is used when
universal would be more appropriate, but I don't see such an example
here.

Ian