Re: WOWG: compliance levels on next teleconf

I don't believe that features interacting in a way that makes them
difficult to implement is the problem. What are these interactions and
difficulties exactly?

The real problem is that it is difficult/impossible to define a total
ordering on features based on their utility. This means that simply by
taking everyone's "single most important feature" we end up with the
whole language (more or less) - this is roughly what happened when
this issue was discussed in Amsterdam.

The solution proposed by the sub-group who met in Toulouse is to
define a minimal level 1 so as to encourage implementors to get on
board by making it easy for them to claim level 1 compliance. It was
assumed that various implementors would choose different points in the
lattice of possible features in accordance with their perception of
the requirements of their target market (and that to be
useful/competitive, most would implement something more that level 1).

Regards, Ian