Re: LANG: compliance levels

At 5:34 pm -0700 28/4/02, Deborah McGuinness wrote:

>  > Can't one define existentially qualified range restrictions by having
>>  local ranges + min-cardinality? Or are they something else?
>
>with universally qualified range restrictions  one can say things
>such as "all my
>children are doctors"
>and with min cardinality  one can say things such as "i have at
>least one child"
>but in combination that only allows one to say  I have at least one child  and
>ALL my children are doctors.
>This DOES  imply that I have at least one child who is a doctor.
>BUT it does not allow you to state the full generality of
>existentially qualified
>range restrictions - for example there is no conceptually good way
>way to state
>(or imply) with just min cardinality and local ranges for example that I also
>have at least one child who is a lawyer after I have stated the previous
>information about my children being doctors.

An alternative could be to simply define two slots:
children-who-are-lawyers and children-who-are-doctors and make them
sub-properties of children.  Local range restrictions in conjunction
with min-cardinality would then make it possible to express your
example, I think.  It is not incredibly elegant but that's life in
limited expressivity KR!  And moreover, if distinguishing the types
of children is important for an application, maybe splitting the
slots would not be such a bizarre modelling decision. At the same
time I suspect that the opposite is not true.  If I don't have
universally quantified local range restrictions, I would not know how
'to fake' them using existentially quantified local restrictions.

Correct?

Enrico

--
Enrico Motta, PhD