Re: TEST: Re: notes for 6/6 until 1:10 (oneOf/sameClassAs)

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Subject: Re: TEST: Re: notes for 6/6 until 1:10 (oneOf/sameClassAs)
Date: 07 Jun 2002 20:27:01 -0500

> On Fri, 2002-06-07 at 19:42, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:
> [...]
> > > No, I'm proposing that, when OWL semantics are
> > > expressed as N3 rules
> >
> > Are you seriously proposing that the semantics of a formalism be expressed
> > in N3?
>
> yeah, or prolog or Java or whatever, no?
>
> I'm not talking about the way it's specified; just
> one implementation technique.

Well, expressing the semantics of a formalism in another formalism that has
neither a well-specified syntax nor a well-specified semantics does not
seem like a winning strategy to me.

> [...]
> > > that the conclusion shouldn't have any
> > > functional terms nor existentially quantified
> > > variables.
> > > i.e. there are no axioms that conclude "there exists...".
> >
> > Well there are several axioms in the DAML+OIL axiomatization that have
> > existentially quantified variables in the conclusion.
>
> the ones I'm concerned about have the quantifier, not just
> the variable, in the conclusion.

Are you saying that

     P -> Ex C

is different from

    Ex ( P -> C )

where x does not appear free in P?

> >  What should happen
> > to these axioms?
>
> I'll have to look over the details, but basically,
> I think they should be removed.

Hmmm.  This would change the axiomatization considerably.