Re: Issue 3.4 - daml:UnambiguousProperty (fwd)

At 8:32 AM -0400 6/6/02, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:
>From: Dan Brickley <danbri@w3.org>
>Subject: Re: Issue 3.4 - daml:UnambiguousProperty (fwd)
>Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 08:02:13 -0400 (EDT)
>

>>  Re motivating daml:UnambiguousProperty, here are some public but offlist
>>  notes I made a little while ago, and which Libby just mentioned.
>>
>>  Dan

Peter - have you read our requirements document?  I believe Dan is
referring to versioning issues here --  a good example - one of Dan's
projects, foaf, has an unambiguous property of mailing address, but
unfortunately, mine is set in his instance base as
"mailto:jhendler@darpa.mil"  - without some versioning, he cannot
simply assert my new mailto (the darpa one no longer works) without a
reasoner being entitled to say "that is an error, this is an
unambiguous property" --  I don't think Dan is asking for any sort of
complex temporal reasoning (which I would immediately and happily
rule out of scope) - but rather pointing out that we must consider
change in our instance base when we work out our solution to
versioning.
  The versioning issue is not open at the moment, so I won't go on
  -Jim H.