Antwort: Re: Antwort: Re: WOWG ADMIN IMPORTANT: Issue list: cleanup of ISSUES 2.1-3.4

	horrocks@cs.man.ac.uk
	06.06.02 14:43
	Bitte antworten an horrocks

		 An: Ruediger Klein/FT/DCAG/DCX@WK-EMEA2
		 Kopie: www-webont-wg@w3.org
		 Thema: Re: Antwort: Re: WOWG ADMIN IMPORTANT: Issue list: cleanup of ISSUES
2.1-3.4

On June 6, ruediger.klein@daimlerchrysler.com writes:
> Hallo Ian:
>
> from a applicational point of view both enumerated classes (one-of) AND
inverse
> are very necessary (not to say indispensible!)

Hi Rudiger,

First off, I would like to make it clear that my remarks weren't
intended to indicate a position as to whether inverse and/or oneOf
should/should not be included in the language - I was only trying to
inform the discussion.

> If both features together makes reasoning much more complicated - I don't
know
> what to do.
>
> Can we find a way which allows the user to use both features which will (in a
> normal case or so) NOT result in reasoning complications?
> For instance, in many cases inverse relations will be used only as a kind of
> syntactic sugar (no additional semantic provided in comparison to the
original
> relation). But can users not familiar with DL understand such aspects of
> modeling?

I'm not sure what you mean by syntactic sugar in this context. Perhaps
you mean that asserting either [x R y] or [x inv-R y] is taken to be
equivalent to asserting both, and that otherwise there is no semantic
relationship between R and inv-R? I believe that this should be
possible from a technical perspective (Grail uses a similar device),
but might not meet user requirements.

what I mean is that a user may want to assert [y inv-R x] what is logically
equivalent to [x R y] but s/he has a kind of "object oriented view" and wants
to say something about y and its relation to x.

Regards, Ian