Re: WOWG ADMIN IMPORTANT: Issue list: cleanup of ISSUES 2.1-3.4

On May 29, Jim Hendler writes:

> A number of issues on our issue list [1] were raised during the
> production of our requirements document and may not directly relate
> to current status of our WG discussions.  I am trying to get these
> rewritten in the form of our other issues so that we can respond to
> them, In doing so, I think some of these issues either change status
> or need new writeups.  As soon as I can, I will send a separate email
> on each of the issues for which I propose so email discussion can
> proceed correctly, However, below is a summary of my proposals so you
> know what is coming and can provide immediate feedback if you think
> I've misunderstood something.  If you think I've misunderstood an
> issue, please let me know soon before I write it up.
>   -JH
>   p.s. Where it says "Close this issue" I'm proposing to own the issue
> and go through discussion at telecon - so none is closed by fiat -
> but I want to make sure I'm not rushing to close something that
> someone feels strongly about.
>
>   Issue 2.1 URI naming of instances
>    Proposal - CLOSE THIS ISSUE
>    I think this issue was raised in the context of the requirements
> document and is not needed anymore.  Since we will have RDF
> documents, instances can have URIs.
>
> Issue 2.2 - Adding properties to someone else's instances
>     Proposal - CLOSE THIS ISSUE
>    I think this issue was raised in the context of the requirements
> document and is not needed anymore.  Since we will have RDF
> documents, we cannot prevent people from being able to point at and
> claim things about other people's instances.
>
> Issue 2.3 - Adding Properties to "someone else's" classes
>   Leave as is
>
> Issue 2.4 - Enumerated Classes (daml:oneOf)
>    Proposal - CLOSE THIS ISSUE
>    The issue here was that the requirements document didn't directly
> motivate this language feature.  However, no one has advocated its
> removal and it does seem to be used in examples within WG discussions.

Removing EITHER this feature or inverse would greatly simplify the job
of providing reasoning support for the language. See my earlier email
regarding the inverse issue.

> Issue 2.5 - Closed Sets (daml:List, daml:Collection)
>   Proposal - change status to OPEN
>   This is an action in which members of our group are working w/RDF
> Core to reach a resolution, since it is open, we should call it so.
>
> Issue 2.6 - Ordered Property Values
>   Leave as is  (will eventually need better writeup)
>
> Issue 3.1 - Local Restrictions
>   Proposal - CLOSE THIS ISSUE
>    The issue here was that the requirements document didn't motivate
> this language feature.  However, no one has advocated its removal and
> there does seem to be consensus it is a desirable feature.
>
> Issue 3.2 - Qualified Restrictions
>    Already closed, no change.
>
> Issue 3.3 - daml:disjointFrom
>   Frankly, I have no clue - there is no daml:disjointFrom in the
> DAML+OIL ref.  Can we remove this or someone explain the issue?
>
> Issue 3.4 - daml:UnambiguousProperty
>   Proposal - CLOSE THIS ISSUE
>    The issue here was that the requirements document didn't motivate
> this language feature.  However, no one has advocated its removal and
> there does seem to be consensus it is a desirable feature.

This issue may be tied to the INVERSE issue. UnambiguousProperty
really means functionality w.r.t. the inverse property. If we no
longer support inverse, then it seems a little strange to be able to
assert its functionality.

Ian