Re: OWL Lite semantics

>here is a bit more than i gave earlier a few of the places working
>on dls in the
>70s and 80s.
>
>your search for description logics on google was thwarted because description
>logics have had a few names.
>kl-one-like systems/languages, term subsumption languages, and  terminological
>logics were used for a while.

Not that this discussion matters to anything, but I guess I tend to
think of DLs in the modern sense as not going all the way back to
KL-ONE. I know that Ron saw CLASSIC as simply a continuation of the
then-ten-year-old KL-one effort, but it is worth pointing out that in
its early days, KL-ONE was not seen simply as a decideable subset of
FOL, but was instead seen as, and actively promoted as, an
*alternative* to logic, part of the 'frame-based' family of languages
which were supposed to replace logic with something new. Some people
still think of them that way. History is littered with new formalisms
that have turned out in retrospect to have been simply subcases of
logic, but to claim that this is what they were all along is
disingenuous, seems to me. Minsky certainly wouldn't have said that
Frames were just a logical notation, for example. It was your
colleague Alex Borgida who finally put the original KL-one ideas to
rest in the early 90s, and I would date the modern DL field as
stemming from the CLASSIC work that your group did about 15 (OK, not
ten) years ago. That is what I was thinking of in my 'decade ago in
Bell Labs' comment, anyway.

Pat