Re: OWL Lite semantics

>From: pat hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
>Subject: Re: OWL Lite semantics
>Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 09:34:24 -0600
>
>[...]
>
>>  OK, I didnt mean to start this old argument up again, but just to set
>>  the record straight.  [...]  It just
>>  seems to make more sense to base something this large-scale on
>>  foundations that go back 60 years than ones that go back about a
>>  decade and start in Bell Labs.
>
>If we are going to set the record straight, lets at least base it in
>reality.  Description logics as a field go back 25 years, not 10, and
>didn't start in Bell Labs.  Bell Labs has never even been the dominant
>player in the field.

OK, if you want to go all the way back to roots, then I can take
logic back to Frege and Peirce, giving it more like 120 years than
60. I was dating it from the deployment of CLASSIC, which I think of
as the first real DL. The papers you cite are prehistory for DLs, not
origins.

BTW, I did a Google search and the earliest date I can find
associated with the term is 1996, at a workshop that you helped
organize. So OK, I should have said 15 years, not a decade.

I am surprised to hear that Bell wasn't the dominant player, though.
I guess I associate Ron, you, Alex and and Deb all with DLs at Bell,
and have always though of that as something of an axis. Where would
you locate the dominant players? (Genuine question)

Pat

>Peter F. Patel-Schneider
>Bell Labs Research
>

>@PhDThesis{brachman:thesis,
>  title=		"A Structural Paradigm for Representing Knowledge",
>  author=	"Brachman, R. J.",
>  school=	"Harvard University",
>  year=		"1977",
>  address=	"Cambridge, MA",
>  note=		"Revised version published as BBN Report No.~3605,
>		 Bolt Beranek and Newman, Inc., Cambridge, MA, July, 1978."}
>
>Written when Ron was a student at Harvard and/or working for BBN.
>
>@InProceedings{brachman-levesque:tractability,
>  title=		"The Tractability of Subsumption in Frame-Based
>		 Description Languages",
>  author=	"Brachman, Ronald J. and Levesque, Hector J.",
>  crossref=	"aaai84",
>  pages=		"34--37"}
>
>Written when both Ron and Hector were working for Fairchild/Schlumberger.

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola              			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32501           				(850)291 0667    cell
s.pam@ai.uwf.edu   for spam