Re: OWL Lite semantics

On December 9, Jim Hendler writes:
> (This message follows those by Peter, Pat and Ian)
>
> The formalists heard from, here's my "scruffy" response

[snip]

> SEMANTICS:
>
> Pat and Ian claim Jeremy's proposal is somehow significantly
> different semantically than the current one.  This confuses me - what
> Jeremy proposes is still a proper subset of OWL DL, so I'm not sure
> why this one is so different from our current as to make trouble -
> can one of you explain?

I had hoped that this was exactly what I did explain in my email. To
reiterate, OWL DL is a *syntactic* subset of OWL full, but for
ontologies that fall within the OWL DL syntactic subset, the semantics
of OWL DL are equivalent to those of OWL full. So, if I ask an OWL DL
system if one OWL DL ontology entails another, it will answer yes (no)
iff an OWL full system would answer yes (no) to the same question.

Jeremy's proposal is that OWL Lite be both a syntactic and *semantic*
"subset" (I use the expression loosely in this case) of OWL DL. So,
fully compliant OWL Lite and OWL DL (and OWL full) systems could give
different answers to such entailment questions. We would therefore
have the situation where two agents could disagree as to the meaning
of some piece of OWL, both stating as their authority fully compliant
OWL reasoners. I was under the impression that the avoidance of such
situations was one of the main reasons for our emphasis on precise
semantics.

Ian