RE: LANG: Proposal to close ontology versioning (ISSUE 5.14)

At 11:19 AM -0600 12/3/02, Smith, Michael K wrote:
>Normally I think of 'A and B' as being consistent with 'A'.
>
>While I know we are not providing a formal semantics for versioning, I find
>your interpretation extremely counterintuitive.  Why make it so confusing?
>
>I think there should be a priorVersion, a backCompatibleWith (which implies
>priorVersion), and an incompatibleWith (which also implies priorVersion).
>Something like:
>
>A newVersionOf B
>A compatibleWith B   ( -> A newVersionOf B)
>A incompatibleWith B ( -> A newVersionOf B)
>
>- Mike

Mike - as logical as this may seem, I'm not in favor because the
intended meaning isn't clear (I don't mean formal semantics, I mean
operational or whatever) -- that is, if I have an ontology which
defines 100 classes, and the I create a new version and say
"" incompatibleWith B
do I mean none of the classes are the same?  Do I mean 1 class may
have changed?  Do I mean 96 classes have changed?

In Jeff's proposal, I assume the following - if I have an old
ontology and a new one - if I say
"" backCompatibleWith B
then I mean that none of the 100 have changed.

If I say
"" PriorVersion A.

:moose a owl:deprecatedClass.
:cow a owl:deprecatedCass.

then I know exactly what the inconsistencies are and know if I don't
use these two classes all is fine.  Question - is this backcompat?
incompat?

so from te experience we've had with SHOE and with DAML, my intuition
(and that's all it is) is that "incompat" would be much harder to get
people to use consistently than "backcompatible" would
  -JH

p.s. Jeff - I'd sure like us to use backCompatibleWith and not
backCompat - as our policy to date has been complete names and we
should have only one idiom - why introduce a new one just for this