Re: LANG: need to CLOSE Issue 5.6 Imports as magic syntax

> [...]
> notion of 'interpretation'. It is defined in such a way that it is
> impossible to ever prove any kind of completeness theorem.
> Personally, I think this is a disaster.
>
> >Please see [1] for details. This gives the
> >semantics in terms of the abstract syntax,
>
> If I understand what you are proposing, that is not true.  I believe
> it cannot possibly give a semantics corresponding to ANY syntax, in
> fact, since the imports closure of a document is not a function of
> the syntax of that document.  The semantics document should be
> rewritten completely to reflect his notion of 'interpretation', if we
> decide to adopt it. It is not a simple tweak, since this notion of
> interpretation is very non-standard and does not satisfy most of the
> normal properties of semantic interpretations; for example,
> Herbrand's theorem fails for this notion. I also think that the
> closure conditions on the large-OWL semantics will need to be
> re-stated to take these changes into account, since in general the
> imports-closure may introduce new vocabulary; and since the
> definition of closure is dependent on the state of the Web, I don't
> see how it can possibly be true that OWL/RDF can be layered on RDF,
> since the two languages now have different notions of interpretation,
> and one cannot possibly be mapped into the other.  This is a far
> bigger change than the relatively simple matter of 'layering' that we
> used up nine months arguing over.
>
> >  but Peter has also added
> >corresponding information for the RDF compatible semantics (see the
> >Semantics document). I don't believe your arguments below apply to this
> >approach to owl:imports, but would like to know if you disagree or
> >believe there are other problems with the approach.
>
> There are certainly problems, see above.
>
> Look, there is a more general issue here. Terms like 'interpretation'
> (in the MT sense) and 'valid' and 'entails' already have widely
> accepted meanings, and have done now for about 60 years. Virtually
> the entire edifice of metamathematics and formal logic is based on
> these accepted ideas. It is really, really, really a bad idea to try
> tinkering with these meanings in order to avoid doing a job properly.
> Its like someone who wants a theory of approximate numbers trying to
> get it for free by re-defining what 'add' means, say. So I would
> *strongly* suggest that we do not adopt any nonstandard notions of
> 'entailment' or 'interpretation', because to do so will almost
> certainly break something very basic in the foundations of the entire
> business. If you want 'imports' to mean something to do with the
> imports closure, then let us just say that explicitly by referring
> explicitly to the imports closure. A document containing an
> owl:imports is understood to define the RDF graph which is the
> imports closure of the document. Then all the usual semantics applies
> to this RDF graph, and that is all we need to say about it.

I can agree with that last one

  A document containing an owl:imports is understood to
  define the RDF graph which is the imports closure of
  the document. Then all the usual semantics applies to
  this RDF graph, and that is all we need to say about it.

*HOw* an engine is getting those is a totally different issue
we just suppose it can get those just as we suppose it is
getting power supply.

So this is an option that can work in our experience,
see old testcase

 (<http://www.w3.org/2002/03owlt/SocratesP>
  <http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema>
  <http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl>)
=>
  <http://www.w3.org/2002/03owlt/SocratesC>.

where <http://www.w3.org/2002/03owlt/SocratesP>
owl:imports <http://www.w3.org/2002/03owlt/SocratesA>.

On the other hand we can also be explicit and say

 (<http://www.w3.org/2002/03owlt/SocratesA>
  <http://www.w3.org/2002/03owlt/SocratesP>
  <http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema>
  <http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl>)
=>
  <http://www.w3.org/2002/03owlt/SocratesC>.

and omit the <SocratesP> owl:imports <SocratesA>.
I think I now prefer the latter...

> [...]
don't
> >>  >draw all the inferences then your reasoning is incomplete (see [4]).
> >>  >Thus, particular implementors are free to provide warning messages,
> >>  >error messages, meta-information in the graph, or whatever else they
> >>  >choose when such situations arise.
> >>  >
> >>  >Therefore, I propose the following:
> >>  >
> >>  >1) The syntax for imports be the same as that of DAML+OIL
> >  > >
> >>  >2) The semantics essentially be "A imports B means if B entails P
then A
> >>  >entails P."
> >>
> >>  Saying that it is a 'semantics' means that you need to work out the
> >>  actual truth-conditions on owl:imports to ensure that it really does
> >  > mean this. With the decisions we currently have, this is now not
only
> >>  not a semantics, it is plain false. Either that is not what A imports
> >>  B means, or else, if it does mean that, then it's almost always
> >>  false. You can't have it both ways: if its outside the MT, then
> >>  entailment ignores it. If you want it to entail something, then you
> >>  need to make it come out true in the appropriate interpretations. Let
> >>  me emphasize: WITHOUT TRUTH CONDITIONS, THERE IS NO SUCH THIS AS AN
> >>  ENTAILMENT SEMANTICS.
> >>
> >>  >Here A and B can be any document, not just ontologies.
> >>
> >>  Then we have to say what 'entailment' means when used between
> >>  non-ontology documents, which requires us to say what it means for
> >>  them to be true in an interpretation, which requires us to specify
> >>  what counts as an interpretation of them and the conditions under
> >>  which they are true in it. They start to sound like ontology
> >>  documents to me.
> >>
> >>  >  >
> >>  >>  We need to close this issue somehow - suggestions?
> >>  >  >   -JH
> >>
> >>  Well, I expect you think you have now closed it, Jim, but I don't
> >>  think in fact you have. All you have done is put a bomb in a
> >>  suitcase. Its going to go off eventually.
> >>
> >>  Pat
> >>  --
> >>  ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> >>  IHMC                                    (850)434 8903   home
> >>  40 South Alcaniz St.                    (850)202 4416   office
> >>  Pensacola                               (850)202 4440   fax
> >>  FL 32501                                        (850)291 0667    cell
> >>  phayes@ai.uwf.edu                 http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/~phayes
> >>  s.pam@ai.uwf.edu   for spam

> IHMC                                                   (850)434 8903
home
> 40 South Alcaniz St.                              (850)202 4416   office
> Pensacola                                              (850)202 4440
fax
> FL 32501                                                    (850)291 0667

-- ,