Re: Minutes of WebOnt Meeting August 22, 2002 9:00-10:30 am pacific time

Who owns the write permission on the log file?
can i as scribe ask for the line i typed
"flipped a coin and picked manchester"
and be replaced by the line jim typed
""consider it as if we flipped a coin and picked Manchester"

on jim's point below on appearing to choose boston, i think people were
objecting to the fact that boston as a suggested (and very likely) fwf6
location was being taken into consideration after the online poll and it
appeared to influence the choice of manchester.
at least this was one of my reasons for dissatisfaction with the process and
one thing I had not anticipated when during the previous telecon, there was
a suggestion to let the chairs make the decision.

Jim Hendler wrote:

> >chairs were to decide f2f5 location
> >16:17:18 [dlm]
> >3 points:
> >16:17:26 [dlm]
> >1 - even distribution between europe and us
> >16:17:40 [dlm]
> >2 colocation with plenary in march in boston is desirable
> >16:18:00 [dlm]
> >3 many things may be needed to get things inplace for discussion
> >16:18:36 [dlm]
> >two meetings in a row in england
> >16:19:01 [dlm]
> >are now proposed
> >16:19:17 [Zakim]
> >+??P3
> >16:19:51 [dlm]
> >stein points to center of mass for participants and suggests that the
> >split between europe and us evenly does not meet the center of mass
> >16:20:20 [dlm]
> >eastern us is closer to center of mass for participants
> >16:21:00 [dlm]
> >maintaining 3 in us and 3 in europe seems an arbitrary decision
> >16:22:09 [dlm]
> >manchester has an access grid room
> >16:22:47 [dlm]
> >one choice point is 2 meetings in england now or two meetings in the us
> >in 2003
> >16:24:18 [dlm]
> >decision wasabout f2f 5
> >16:24:41 [dlm]
> >flipped a coin and picked manchester
>
> That last line is taken out of context and I protest it!  What I
> said, after several people objected that Guus and I appeared to be
> making a f2f6 decision for Boston (which we didn't - we just
> suggested it), was "so forget the Boston part and consider it as if
> we flipped a coin and picked Manchester"
>
> By the way, I am quite surprised by the flap today over location.  At
> the last telecon we resolved:
>
> >16:13:27 [jhendler]
> >ACTION: group being split between NY and Manchester in preference,
> >chairs will determine and inform group.
>
> which was requested of me and Guus after we both made it clear we'd
> rather the group picked.  However,  since there was a virtual split
> decision to a straw poll, we were delegated the responsibility.  Next
> time if you don't want us to make a decision, please don't ask us to
> do so.

agreed -  in hindsight if i were the chairs I would not take this position
again
and as a person on the call if I could,
I would take back my silence on the proposal to leave it up to the chairs
and ask for a vote (not a straw poll) for group decision where the
considerations were made explicit.

--
 Deborah L. McGuinness
 Knowledge Systems Laboratory