[snip]
.

> Example:
>
> The RDF document:
>
> <rdf:Description rdf:about="#John">
>    <rdf:type rdf:resource="#Student">
>    <rdf:type rdf:resource="#Employee">
> </rdf:Description>
>
> understood with rdf:type denoting set membership, would, under almost all
> set theories, entail #John being a member of the intersection of #Student
> and #Employee.
> In daml+oil this is said:
>
> <rdf:Description rdf:about="#John">
>    <rdf:type>
>     <daml:class>
>       <daml:intersectionOf rdf:parseType="daml:collection">
>          <daml:class rdf:ID="Employee"/>
>          <daml:class rdf:ID="Student"/>
>      <daml:intersectionOf>
>     </daml:class>
>    </rdf:type>
> </rdf:Description>
>
> If we leave the daml class expression:
>
> <rdf:RDF>
>     <daml:class>
>       <daml:intersectionOf rdf:parseType="daml:collection">
>          <daml:class rdf:ID="Employee"/>
>          <daml:class rdf:ID="Student"/>
>      <daml:intersectionOf>
>     </daml:class>
> </rdf:RDF>
>
> as unasserted then OWL can assign a meaning to this expression wholly
> independently of RDF.
>
> Have I got it?

How does this particular example demonstrate a problem? Why should this
convince DanC? One of PeterPS's examples used a paradoxical class i.e. a
member of itself. Is there a similar class that does not depend on the
use of the 'Q's? e.g. would something like:

<ont:Class rdf:ID="foo">
	<ont:unionOf rdf:parseType="ont:collection">
		<ont:Class rdf:about="#foo"/>
		<ont:Class rdf:about="#bar"/>
	</ont:unionOf>
</ont:Class>

be a problem? or

<ont:Class rdf:ID="foo">
	<ont:disjointUnionOf rdf:parseType="ont:collection">
		<ont:Class rdf:about="#foo"/>
		<ont:Class rdf:about="#bar"/>
	</ont:disjointUnionOf>
</ont:Class>

I'm just guessing, but the example should demonstrate a paradox - right?

Jonathan