From: Lisa Dusseault [mailto:lisa@xythos.com]
Sent: Friday, January 25, 2002 3:00 PM
To: Babich, Alan; 'Julian Reschke'; www-webdav-dasl@w3.org
Subject: RE: Call for Participation: new internet draft for WebDAV
SEARCH method

> That is not the same thing as saying that every repository would be
> organized enough to provide a query schema. Providing QSD has to be
> optional. Document management systems could easily provide access to the
> data dictionary they already have. But other repositories, e.g., file
> systems, might not have a centralized query schema.

You're right, but it's a little worse than that.  Systems where custom
metadata could be anywhere (e.g. *any* dav system should support custom
props) can't provide a complete query schema.

However, QSD could become a *lot* more manageable with the simple feature of
allowing the server to specify their behaviour as follows:  "for any
property not otherwise mentioned in the QS, searching follows these
rules..."

Then only the special cases (live properties which are known to be integers,
for example) would have to be in the QSD.

Lisa